Date:      Thu, 28 Jun 2001 11:53:52 -0600
From:      Drew Eckhardt <drew@PoohSticks.ORG>
To:        Nicolas Souchu <nsouch@fr.alcove.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: processes private data

In message <20010628182533.B17804@avon.alcove-fr>, nsouch@fr.alcove.com writes:
>Hi folks,
>
>I have a char driver that must be opened by more than one process. The minor
>index is not sufficient for this. Is there any process private data (void *)
>in the devfs structure (or the opposite) I could point to with the minor index
>of my device?

No.

You want to split your minor number into separate unit and instance parts,
and allow each instance to be only opened once (return EBUSY).  A quick fix
is to continue selecting the softc structure exclusively based on unit
number and to hang the necessary per instance data off that.

--
For those who do, no explanation is necessary.
For those who don't, no explanation is possible.