Date:      Thu, 20 Nov 2003 18:22:46 +0100
From:      Arjan van Leeuwen <avleeuwen@piwebs.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SCO goes after BSD?

--Boundary-02=_ohPv/Z+BtArYnhx

There's more information on this at Enterprise Linux:

http://www.enterprise-linux-it.com/perl/story/22719.html

Seems like we will have to wait until at least 2004 to hear what SCO has to=
=20
say :).

=2D-Start relevant quotes--
Second, SCO has said it will broaden its copyright protection efforts to=20
include "copyrighted code included in the 1994 settlement between Unix=20
Systems Laboratories and Berkeley Software Design (BSD)." SCO has said it=20
does not expect to file any BSD-related lawsuits until the first half of=20
2004.

(...)

BSD Gets Involved=20

Enlarging the scope of its legal battle to include BSD, SCO says it now is=
=20
comparing code awarded in a 1994 settlement involving that company.=20

"As part of the settlement agreement that took place between BSD and AT&T=20
(NYSE: T)  and Novell, there were certain files that had to have the=20
copyright attribution put back in," Stowell said.=20

"Copyright attribution has been stripped away from certain code, and we're=
=20
seeing that same situation taking place with Linux with those same exact BS=
D=20
files," he said. "Those files have gone back into Linux, and the copyright=
=20
attribution has been stripped away." Those BSD files must have their=20
copyright attribution restored, Stowell said.=20

Additionally, "there were Unix System V files within BSD that were not=20
supposed to be there, and those files had to be removed from BSD," he said.=
=20
"And we're claiming those files that were supposed to have been removed fro=
m=20
BSD have made their way into Linux."=20

"Some of the BSD code likely made its way into Linux," said Aberdeen Group=
=20
analyst Bill Claybrook, "and probably -- almost assuredly -- made its way=20
into [Unix] System V." However, he told NewsFactor, "You couldn't argue tha=
t=20
just because [BSD] files went into System V, it was derived code."
=2D-end quotes--

Arjan

--Boundary-02=_ohPv/Z+BtArYnhx

--Boundary-02=_ohPv/Z+BtArYnhx--