Date:      Wed, 21 Nov 2001 11:41:48 +0100
From:      Shaun Jurrens <shaun@shamz.net>
To:        Colin Campbell <sgcccdc@citec.qld.gov.au>
Cc:        Shaun Jurrens <shaun@shamz.net>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Clustering software

On Wed, Nov 21, 2001 at 09:18:44AM +1000, Colin Campbell wrote:
#> Hi,
#>
#> On Tue, 20 Nov 2001, Shaun Jurrens wrote:
#>
#> > #>Hi,
#> > #>
#> > #>Unfortunately the searching I've done yields little or nothing, especially
#> > #>if you are talking high-availability-type clustering. Seems the linux
#> > #>people are the only ones doing any serious work on that - see
#> > #>www.linux-ha.org. You might find some links to, or actual software, you
#> > #>can use/port.
#> >
#> > 	Unfortunately this is not at all the case.  I don't know where you've
#> > done your searching, but it hasn't been very thorough.  Ronald Minnich
#> > (excuse any bad spelling) has been doing clustering with FreeBSD for _years_
#> > and has clusters of 64 and more (iirc) machines.  I'd appreciate if you did
#> > better research before you post such information to the lists.  It only
#> > serves to disinform those who search in the list archives.
#>
#> 64 hosts doesn't sound to me like high availability clustering (on which
#> my reply was based - read it again). It sounds more like beowulf-style
#> clustering. Since Dimitry didn't specify what he was looking for I tried
#> to qualify my answer by limiting it to HA clusters.

	What you want to call "clustering" sounds like load-balancing with
fail-over.  There are a lot of ways to skin this cat.  The work that Ronald
Minnich does (to be found here: http://www.acl.lanl.gov/~rminnich/ ) is much
closer to co-operative computing (for lack of a better word at the moment)
than any heartbeat based load-balancing web server.  There is a vrrp port
and in the lists there was, iirc, also work on a heartbeat daemon (last
year) for fbsd, which may actually be part of the vrrp port.
#>
#> If you know of such HA clustering software, tell all of us. There have
#> been quite a few requests for clustering software over the years. I have
#> never seen anyone reply with anything like the linux-ha project. Maybe
#> FreeBSD is so good, clustering software isn't needed. And before you jump
#> down my throat, I run fbsd on my desktop and my two squid servers are
#> fbsd.
#>
#> > The biggest problem with those searching for "clustering" software usually
#> > is that they haven't defined "clustering" in combination with their needs.
#> > Your assumptions about what what Dmitry actually is looking for make your
#> > answer even less accurate.
#>
#> Read my reply again. I pretty much specified "high availability
#> clustering" because Dimitry did not qulaify his search. I figured all the
#> beowulf style paralle computing clusters were os independent (or pretty
#> much so) and therefore easily found and that's why I left them out.

	Beowulf clustering is pretty much an insult to clustering.  I'd suggest
you avoid using that term to describe any serious clustering work.  Ronald
describes his work as Metacomputing.  Either way, HA clusting is stretching
it, imho, and your assumption (even though correct), about what Dmitry
wanted wasn't based on anything more than what you wanted to reply to.
There are many organisations that use 1k+ fbsd server parks to do
"high-availability" work without banging the gong about "HA Clustering"

Either way, I don't have more to say. EOD.
#>
#> > #>