Date:      Wed, 26 Sep 2001 03:39:12 +0200
From:      Stephane Legrand <Stephane.Legrand@bigfoot.com>
To:        doc@freebsd.org, www@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: About the new HTML files in www/en/releases/4.4R/

On Mon, Sep 24, 2001 at 03:33:12PM -0700, Bruce A. Mah wrote:
> If memory serves me right, Stephane Legrand wrote:
>
> > Some remarks about these new files :
> >
> > - the version numbers are different from the usual ones.
> >   For instance, in errata.html, it is :
> >
> >   "$FreeBSD: src/release/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/errata/article.sgml,v 1.1.2.27
> >   2001/09/23 22:57:48 bmah Exp $"
> >
> >   instead of something like
> >
> >   "$FreeBSD: www/en/releases/4.4R/errata.html,v 1.2
> >   2001/09/23 22:57:48 bmah Exp $"
> >
> >   Why ??
>
> I turned off keyword substitution for these files in CVS.  The html
> files in www/en/ releases/4.4R/ were generated from SGML files, and I
> thought it best to leave the ID strings intact so that people can see
> where the content came from (and what revision).  Otherwise this
> information gets spammed with the date the generated HTML file was
> updated in the repository. Although the dates will bear a strong
> resemblance, the version numbers don't, and I bet I'd get a bunch of
> questions as to why the version numbers on the Web site don't match
> those in the RELNOTESng snapshots.

Let me clarify why i asked this question. I'm participating to the
french translation of the www pages and it's extremely useful to
have a version number for each files because you can then easily
track the translations out of sync. If you can assure me that this
current version number will be modified each time the HTML file is
modified (no matter if article.sgml was modified or not), then
that's perfectly fine because i can use this version number as i
already use the ones in the SGML files. But if it's not true, it
would be great if for instance an other version number could be
added to reflect each changes in the HTML file. Or may be you could
transform this current line in a simple comment to keep inform the
reader that the content was generated from article.sgml with its
version and let the CVS do its job to have a more usual version
number ?

I hope you can understand my point of view despite my english :-)

> > - the fact that the HTML files are no more generated makes difficult
> > any design changes. For instance, i can't add a navigation bar in
> > these pages without directly modifying the files. With SGML, the
> > &header; entity allows this without any change in the original
> > file. Any chance to revert to SGML format ?
>
> I found the old method (drop ASCII text in the middle of SGML) to be
> extremely inconvenient for updating the errata.  I'm open to
> alternatives that don't make me do this.

Could it be possible to have something like (an example with errata) :

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" [
<!ENTITY base CDATA "../..">
<!ENTITY date "$FreeBSD: www/en/releases/4.4R/errata.sgml,v 1.17