Date:      Sat, 19 Mar 2005 10:05:23 -0800
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@freebsd.org>
To:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        Murray Stokely <murray@freebsdmall.com>
Subject:   Re: fam

--=-jjEptOMCnPUpK8ICVY7G

If memory serves me right, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:

> Alas, we used to have a section about this in our (FreeBSD GNOME) FAQ.
> However, since we enabled FAM support by default in gnomevfs2, we
> dropped it.  I think it would be worth adding back in as its own FAQ,
> but I'm not sure if that's the best place to disseminate the
> information.

Well, I'm strongly influenced by my ex-RE-ness, but I'd think that the
release notes would be one (but not the only) reasonable place to put
this.  We already have a note for the 2.10 upgrade, and I think that it
could use a little more explication vis a vis:

1.  The gnome_upgrade.sh script no longer upgrades ports that GNOME
depends on (but are not parts of GNOME itself).  Users may need to
manually upgrade certain ports (for example, using portupgrade(1))
before running the upgrade script to ensure that they are compatible
with GNOME 2.10.  Specific examples are devel/libtool15 (1.5.10_1 or
later required) and print/freetype2 (2.1.9 or later required).

2.  GNOME includes support for the File Alteration Monitor (devel/fam)
by default, in order to improve the GNOME desktop's ability to respond
to files being added, deleted, or modified by other programs.  To take
advantage of this functionality, FAM must be enabled in inetd.conf(5).
More information can be found in ports/devel/fam/pkg-message.

Picture the above two paragraphs just below the existing GNOME entry in
the release notes, with appropriate SGML markup.  I assumed that the FAM
change is a new one (between 5.3 and 5.4), right?

Bruce.

--=-jjEptOMCnPUpK8ICVY7G

--=-jjEptOMCnPUpK8ICVY7G--