Date:      Thu, 21 Dec 1995 19:28:44 +0100 (MET)
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@knobel.gun.de>
To:        Thomas Neumann <tom@smart.ruhr.de>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@rocky.sri.MT.net>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Impressions of stability ( was Re: FreeBSD-current-stable ??? )

On 18 Dec 1995, Thomas Neumann wrote:

> Folks, don't you think that this "discussion" is gaining a
> dangerous amount of emotional momentum - lets try to keep
> it 'professional' instead of 'personal'.

Well on the way ;-)

> Personally, I'm experiencing relatively few problems with -current.

True. I installed current two days ago and must say, that it's
running fine so far with only few exceptions. Let me tell you the
experiences I made.

Base system was FreeBSD-stable 2.1. I supped the -current
of 19.12.95

- make world:
	stopped when compiling ypserv.
	rpcgen (2.1 version) didn't understand the new
	commandline flags of the -current version. So I commented
	out ypserv. I build it later.

- the top utility can't be compiled. There is a machine dependend
  file for FreeBSD-2.2 missing.
  A top version compiled on 2.1 dies with a core dump. Possibly
  other utilities might be affected by this, too. Things in 2.2
  seems to have changed. Would be nice, if there would be a list
  of changes in /usr/src, so that it's clear, where to dig around,
  if something doesn't compile or run.

- problems with du
  when being in roots home dir it dies in the middle:
	root# du
	1       ./.tin/.news
	1       ./.tin/.save
	1       ./.tin/.mail
	15      ./.tin
	1       ./Mail/inbox
	1       ./Mail/drafts
	3       ./Mail
	1       ./News
	1       ./.elm
	2       ./.tkined
	3       ./.nn
	du: fts_read: No such file or directory

- rtin
  I configured rtin to look into /etc/nntpserver to get the name
  of the nntp server. My old 2.1 binary shows the following mis-
  behaviour:
	connecting /etc/nntpserver
	/etc/nntpserver: unknown host
  it's the new beta of tin. Worked under 2.1.

- screensaver:
  on startup the following error message:
  undefined entry symbol '_saver_init'
  ld: Spurious undefined symbols: # undefined symbols 1, reposted 0

  My sysconfig configuration:
	blanktime=600
	saver=green

- strange sendmail messages on startup, when there are still
  mails in the mailqueue waiting for the nameserver ...
  (waiting to be sent via smtp). But when I run off the net...
Dec 21 06:46:41 knobel sendmail[190]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR: putoutmsg (NO-HOST): erro
r on output channel sending "451 before main() initmaps: fd 1 not open: Bad file
 descriptor": Input/output error
Dec 21 06:46:41 knobel sendmail[190]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root): before main() initm
aps: fd 1 not open: Bad file descriptor
Dec 21 06:46:41 knobel sendmail[190]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root): before main() initm
aps: fd 2 not open: Bad file descriptor

FreeBSD-current runs stable so far. No crashes. Ok, I have fine std
hardware....

I think I can live with current. Would be fine, if some of the above
mentioned things could be fixed. And concerning the history of
important changes ... This should be a must.

Puh, just had problems with my freshly compiled pine...

malloc warning:
	free(): already free chunk

I'm currently in X11, fired up pine in an xterm. Loaded the
900 messages long -current mailinglist folder. Edited this reply.
Edited a 20MB large messages file with vi in parallel. Truncated it
to 1M length. When I wanted to send the message I got /var filesystem
full message, first. Deceided to save the 1 MB messages file and to
leave vi. Checked space in /var. Then I got the free(): message...

Since then cursor positioning in vi wasn't ok. Wrote the file to /tmp/xxx
(/tmp is a 90M large memory filesystem). And wrote it to /tmp/yyy.
When I entered pine this time, I wanted to include /tmp/xxx as my
reply. The file was empty (surprise, surprise). /tmp/yyy was ok,

I think I'm surely the one and only who got this result ;-))

If there are any questions ... ?!

	Andreas ///

--
andreas@knobel.gun.de       /\/\___  Wiechers & Partner Datentechnik GmbH