Date:      Tue, 25 Aug 1998 10:30:43 +0100
From:      nik@iii.co.uk
To:        Mike Holling <myke@ees.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Making a local FreeBSD distribution?

On Mon, Aug 24, 1998 at 03:02:19PM -0400, Mike Holling wrote:
> I have a machine tracking -stable, and use it to keep other machines in
> synch.  I now have several new machines that don't have anything installed
> on them yet.  Rather than installing a SNAP or an older version from CD
> and then upgrading to stable, I'd like to netinstall locally from the
> -stable server.

If your machines can NFS mount /usr/src and /usr/obj from the machine
that's tracking -stable, you can then run 'make installworld' on the
other machines, and not need to bother with needing to roll your own
release.

This may be preferable (it's considerably less effort).

See the tutorial at

<URL:http://www.nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk/FreeBSD/make-world/make-world.html>;

for more details (question 12.5 in particular).

--+==[ Nik Clayton becomes Just Another Perl Contractor in 18 days. ]==+--
                      She's still dead. Deal with it.