Date:      Sat, 6 Sep 2014 12:28:14 +0100
From:      David Chisnall <theraven@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Garrett Cooper <yaneurabeya@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-toolchain@freebsd.org" <freebsd-toolchain@freebsd.org>, "conrad.meyer@emc.com" <conrad.meyer@emc.com>
Subject:   Re: Building clang in buildworld as part of the bootstrap process -- is it really necessary?

On 6 Sep 2014, at 06:47, Garrett Cooper <yaneurabeya@gmail.com> wrote:

> Makes sense. I'll do some poking around and see if things could =
potentially be optimized with the clang build. On beefy machines it's =
not a big deal, but as we know on machines without a ton of memory or =
SSDs, it can become painful, as expected.

The build system for clang-in-base has improved a bit so, as you say, it =
is now reasonably fast on beefy machines (release clang build with the =
upstream build system takes 2-3 minutes on a fast machine, about 10 on =
my laptop, the one in buildworld isn't quite as good at extracting =
parallelism).  On slow machines, it can be quite painful.

The correct solution to this problem is likely to be to start creating =
bootstrap-toolchain packages.  This is also likely to be necessary for =
architectures like MIPS and PowerPC before 11 anyway, because the host =
compiler doesn't have the C++11 support required for bootstrapping a =
newer LLVM and clang.  We can work around that quite easily if we have =
package for the bootstrap toolchain (possibly cross-compiled from an x86 =
machine).

David