Date:      Sat, 24 Mar 2012 17:20:25 -0400
From:      Justin Hibbits <chmeeedalf@gmail.com>
To:        Super Bisquit <superbisquit@gmail.com>
Cc:        Garrett Cooper <yanegomi@gmail.com>, FreeBSD PowerPC ML <freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: wi diff

On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 17:04:58 -0400
Super Bisquit <superbisquit@gmail.com> wrote:

> I sent two emails- the second a repeat of the first.
> In GENERIC,  all warnings were edited out and wi was not added in the
> miibus section.
> I haven't rebooted yet. The other messages show the error.
>=20
> Apologies for the sudden come and go.
>=20
> Justin, thanks for the reply in CURRENT. I think that clang, llvm, and
> related need to be in the base and not in ports. Developer version
> releases are different. Look on emulation for some posts I made, is
> it possible to get what was sent- I think from you if I recall
> correctly- to be in source?
>=20
> If it wasn't for the error, buildworld on powerpc with clang would
> have worked.
>=20
> Garrett, has the error from tinderbox build been corrected and has a
> build been setup with clang instead?

=46rom my understanding, wi(4) does not attach to the mii bus, so you
will never see it.  If my understanding is correct, mii is for physical
ethernet only (a real networking expert can correct me here, gladly).
So the attachment you see of wi(4) should only be on the macio, pci, or
pccard buses, if in fact you have a wi(4) card (original airport,
not airport extreme in the case of my diff).

As for the clang/llvm problems, since clang is not complete regarding
powerpc (and anything but x86/x86-64 and most of arm), it doesn't make
sense to keep updating them just to track any possible PowerPC
changes.  One very important part that's missing in the PowerPC target
is position-independent code, which is required for shared libraries.
I've been working off and on with getting Thread-local storage working
for PowerPC, but have not done too much (wrote the basic function,
haven't added the codegen parts in), but will continue working on it
over the coming months, and then turn my attention to PIC (if nobody
else has stepped up to it by then).  With these being the two biggest
stumbling points, solving them will go a long way to getting clang
buildworlding FreeBSD.

- Justin