Date:      Tue, 3 Mar 1998 19:16:24 +0100 (MET)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        shimon@simon-shapiro.org
Cc:        sbabkin@dcn.att.com, tlambert@primenet.com, jdn@acp.qiv.com, blkirk@float.eli.net, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, grog@lemis.com
Subject:   Re: SCSI Bus redundancy...

As Simon Shapiro wrote...

> On 02-Mar-98 Wilko Bulte wrote:
>
> > And apart from the work involved to get it implemented: how long would
> it
> > take a RAIDset to get re-organised/enlarged. Reason #1 for doing things
> > like
> > this is because you don't want downtime. And I don't want to think about
> > some hardware failure (say a disk) halfway during this process. That
> > would
> > really result in a dis[k]array ;-)
>
> Nope...
>
> > 'Not everything that can be done should be done'
>
> Right!!!

You must have tried it ;-)

HP has something like this, but with a different implementation, I think
it is called AutoRaid (?). They use RAID5 for 'cool' data and RAID1 for
'hot' data. This gives a nice compromise between cost (RAID1 is $$) and
RAID5 (slower, especially on writes). They migrate between the raid levels
based on data usage patterns.

It was a very hot topic a couple of years ago, but in my experience this
has cooled down quite a bit.

Wilko
---------------  Support your local daemons: run [Free,Net,Open]BSD Unix  --