Date:      Mon, 8 Mar 1999 08:16:59 -0500 (EST)
From:      Thomas Good <tomg@nrnet.org>
To:        Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, jameso@elwood.net
Subject:   Re: Clinical Software

On Sun, 7 Mar 1999, Thomas David Rivers wrote:

> > Quick question, I work at a Nursing home and have been working with
> > FreeBSD to replace out our NT servers. A thought entered my mind today,
> > all the users ever use is Excel, Word, Powerpoint, web, e-mail and the
> > clincal/financal package for nursing homes. We are looking to replace our
> > current package now, and I was wondering if there is any that will work on
> > Unix.
> >
> > If we were able to find one, it would not be too hard of a step to move
> > off of Windows alltoghter. The clincal software is all thats really
> > holding us back.
> >
> > If anyone has any ideas, I am all ears.
> >
> > Thanks.
> > Jim
>
>  I believe StarOffice would be a good alternative for everything
> except the clinical/financial package...
>
>  I understand it has a nice word processor, and "power point"-like
> presentation software...

Fellas - I run a network for the Dept of Psychiatry - St Vincent's of
Richmond (Sisters of Charity).  You could run an X Server with staroffice
and/or applixware to address the word processing...

That leaves the clinical reporting.  For that I use PostgreSQL on both
Linux and FreeBSD...I use perl (DBI::DBD-Pg) as the pseudo 4GL and it
works nicely.  I ported a FoxPro db recently (500,000 tuples in a
handfull of tables...)  Works well.

Jim - if you are interested in joint development message me offlist.
(We run a few nursing homes as well - maybe we could kill two birds?)
All code is artistic licenced.  ;-)  BTW, I am also working on an
accounting database with a web interface (again using perl).
http://www.simtax.ca/acc

Cheers,
Tom
----
         North Richmond Community Mental Health Center

         Thomas Good   Information Systems Coordinator
         E-Mail:       tomg@ { admin | q8 } .nrnet.org
         Phone:        718-354-5528
         Fax:          718-354-5056

                 Empowered by PostgreSQL 6.3.2