Date:      Wed, 20 Nov 2013 13:59:37 -0900
From:      Royce Williams <royce@tycho.org>
To:        Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: security/john: bump to 1.7.9-jumbo-7

On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 8:02 AM, Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 07:27:05AM -0900, Royce Williams wrote:
> > Could someone bump security/john?  The simple patch below should be a
> good
> > start to cover it, and it's been more than a year since jumbo-6 came out,
> > so it's pretty stale.
>
> Royce,
>
> I'm know I'm slow on this, but I'd really like to address all the issues
> Solar Designer had previously raised WRT the port.  Particularly, -jumbo
> should really be an option; plist should be fixed to match modern reality,
> etc.  There are several of them; I hope I can get my act together and do
> finish this shortly.
>
> Sorry it takes so long. :(
>
> ./danfe

I definitely look forward to the -jumbo option and other improvements.  And
I really appreciate your desire to do this The Right Way.

However, please don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good on this
one.  A simple bump to jumbo-6 or jumbo-7 would have benefited many people
over the past year and a half.  Doing such a bump now should be fast, and
does not preclude making the deeper improvements later.  Please consider a
quick commit now.

But either way, good luck with the harder work!

Royce