Date:      Tue, 13 Oct 1998 05:33:26 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        Norman C Rice <nrice@emu.sourcee.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ftp get filenames with spaces and junk text

On Mon, Oct 12, 1998 at 10:59:01AM -0400, Norman C Rice wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 12, 1998 at 05:56:15PM +1000, Sue Blake wrote:
> > How do I get oddly named files from a macintosh ftp server to land on
> > my FreeBSD disk with a decent file name? Here's some examples:
> >
> > 981011 Small Bus. Sue
> > Extra bits for System.sit
>
> You can try the ncftp2/3 port -- with it you can use the tab key
> to complete file names. An alternative method would be to use
> a graphical FTP client and click on the file names. Using the
> standard FTP client you can try using wildcard characters
> (`*' and `?') to complete the file names, but YMMV.

The plain ftp client does tab completion, wildcards, and command
history too. Some ftp commands rely on the capabilities of the remote
machine, and others the local machine. None of the above features work
on a remote ftp server that thinks all the world is a mouse.

But that's not my problem. Getting the file off the macintosh is OK.
The only way is 'get "silly name of file"', no matter what client I use.

Then later, on my own machine I go
  mv "silly name of file" newname
or
  mv sil* newname
so that I don't have to deal with the spaces etc in the original name.
For one or two files, that's easy enough.

For lots of files, I could learn how to run a script on my machine to
rename them afterwards. But after reading the ftp man page, I see there
is a better method and I want to use it.

The standard ftp client has a feature which can be activated to rename
all files automatically as it writes them to the local disk. I want to
learn how to use this feature of ftp. It is simple, and documened, but
I don't understand the syntax.

Commands which depend on a cooperative ftp server are futile.
It is fairly easy to get the files to here from the server.
There are unixy ways to deal with the names after files arrive here.
I have an ftp client that can do this renaming on the fly.
I want to know how to use the ftp client to do this.

Why? Because it's there, because I'm perverse, an idiot, stubborn,
curious, it seems like a fun thing to do, and because someone else
might find it handy too.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-