Date:      Mon, 5 Jul 2004 10:37:58 -0400
From:      "Michael W. Oliver" <freebsd-current@gargantuan.com>
To:        Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADSUP: ibcs2 and svr4 compat removed, linux to follow

--sHrvAb52M6C8blB9

On 2004-07-04T15:25:07-0700, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2004 21:23:09 +0100
> > From: n0g0013 <ttz@cobbled.net>
> > Sender: owner-freebsd-current@freebsd.org
> >=20
> > On 02.07-19:31, Brad Knowles wrote:
> > [ ... ]
> > > 	Yup.  PGP sign everything, and make sure that your keys don't=20
> > > ever get stolen or compromised.  That makes it much harder for=20
> > > someone to successfully impersonate you.
> >=20
> > what is the story with PGP signatures these days?  last i
> > investigated there was a multi-part mime format that was meant
> > to be standard and nobody used (except mutt, which i use).
> >=20
> > does anyone use that format or is it all inline now?  mutt
> > won't recognise the inline format as signed (and consequently
> > won't verify the content).
>=20
> mutt need to be fixed.
>=20

Mutt is correct, in both it's handling of PGP signing and verification,
as well as handling old-style PGP signing, as noted in the manual:

http://www.mutt.org/doc/manual/manual-6.html#ss6.4

  [...]
  check-traditional-pgp  ESC P   check for classic pgp
  [...]

I concede that it isn't automatic though.  However, there are some ways
around this, using either maildrop (which I use) or procmail, which will
add some goop to the original email so that mutt will parse the PGP
content without any additional keystrokes.  Of course, it is up to the
user whether or not they want to tamper with the content of the email.

For those curious about mutt's position on PGP, please see the following
document:

http://www.mutt.org/doc/PGP-Notes.txt

especially the first entry in the FAQ.

Thanks!

--=20
Mike
perl -e 'print unpack("u","88V]N=3D&%C=3D\"!I;F9O(&EN(&AE861E<G,*");'

--sHrvAb52M6C8blB9

--sHrvAb52M6C8blB9--