Date:      Tue, 18 Feb 1997 09:36:21 -0500 (EST)
From:      Ron Bickers <rbickers@intercenter.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Apache Virtual Servers (single IP)

On Mon, 17 Feb 1997, Michael Dillon wrote:

> It's not silly. ISP's have been selling a specific bundle of services
> under the name "virtual domain" for almost three years now. This requires
> that each virtual domain have a globally unique IP address allocated to
> it.

Just like dialup use to "require" an IP address per customer.

> Some people are suggesting that they can continue to use this name for a
> different service in which they do not use a globally unique IP address.
> But by doing so, they ensure that a significant percentage of WWW browsers
> cannot reach the domain. Since the ISP has no way of knowing the intended
> audience for a website they also have no way to predict what percentage of
> WWW browsers cannot reach the site. In addition, the search engines that
> use webcrawlers will not index these sites.

I can only agree with this today, but again, we're moving forward. It
sounds like some search engines need to do the same.

> countries, it simply does not make any sense for an ISP to offer a virtual
> domain without also allocating a globally unique IP address.

It's increasingly not making sense to use multiple addresses.

> HTTP 1.1 host header support is a neat bit of technology but it
> has no place in the ISP business today.

Just like audio on demand, video on demand, java, and a whole slew of
other neat bits of technology, the use of a single IP for virtual hosting
will soon spread like kudzu.

Ron