Date:      Mon, 30 Sep 1996 21:44:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Nick Esborn <nick@grayphics.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   System freezes with Adaptec 2940UW

I have a 2.1.5R system that has run under various configurations, most
recently including a P6-200 board with the natoma chipset.  I have used
various SCSI interfaces, including an AHA-1542CP, and the on-board
AIC-7880 of an older P5 board I used.  But when I recently upgraded to
the AHA-2940UW, I began seeing total system lockups every few days.

The lockups do not seem to correspond to heavy disk activity, although
there does need to be SOME sort of disk activity for it to occur.  Once
it was when I ran telnet.  The disk goes to access, then all the system's
SCSI indicators go solid, and the machine won't respond to anything
except a physical power cycle.  I have managed to always be at the
console when it happened, so I have been able to reboot the machine (it
doesn't reboot itself), but I am concerned that it may do this overnight
or something.  Hardware is as follows:

Generic Natoma P6 board with one P6/200
96MB 60ns parity RAM: 2 32's, 2 16's.

PCI cards:
Adaptec 2940UW
Digital Fast Etherworks

ISA cards:
Diamond Stealth VRAM
Gravis Ultrasound (non PnP)

SCSI disks:
Seagate ST-43400N
IBM DSAS-3540 (powered and on SCSI chain, but not mounted or used)

Thanks for any ideas or recommendations

Nick
Grayphics
http://www.grayphics.com