Date:      Sun, 15 Oct 2000 02:47:24 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        obrien@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Michael C . Wu" <keichii@peorth.iteration.net>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /boot partition?

David O'Brien writes:
> On Fri, Oct 13, 2000 at 07:18:05PM +0300, Maxim Sobolev wrote:
> > Nope, the loader can load stuff from other partitions, even from some strange
> > ones like msdos ;), so theoretically it should be possible to have /boot, or
> > even /boot/kernel, on another partition (it may require to tweak loader config
> > files, though), but I really do not see any reasons behind such weird setup.
> Our IA-64 offering may end up having /boot as a native partition (ie,
> vfat32) as their firmware understands it.

Solaris 8 uses this setup. One partition of about 10meg for booting,
mount as /boot after the system comes up.

BTW, kudos to the FreeBSD install team. Much as the FreeBSD install
may be maligned, it's much more intuitive, flexible and in general
better than what Sun is doing with for Solaris 8.

	<mike