Date:      Wed, 2 May 2001 20:37:06 +0200
From:      Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.demon.nl>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        Riccardo.Veraldi@fi.infn.it, freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vector: 0x670

On Wed, May 02, 2001 at 06:27:38PM +0000, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > 670     Processor Uncorrectable   unrecoverable cache or TLB errors, or
> >                                   read of a non-existent I/O space
> >

> > Do you think it can be an error due to overheating or do I have to throw
> > my AlphaStation away ??
>
> No quick answers, but some things to try, and some advice and
> opinions...
>

> A cache error means that the processor is bad, if it's L1 cache;
> this could be the result of overheating.  If it's L2 cache, the
> cause could still be overheating, but I've seen a lot of people
> trying to use cache chips that were too slow.

I don't recall which AS version this was, but most of the have
SMD soldered on caches. Some have cache modules, some cache SIMMs.
In case of cache modules of any shape or form please check if they
are seated well.

> - If it's overheating, that's usually the result of overclocking,
> either intentionally, or unintentionally.  Make sure you are not
> doing that.

Easily tested by trying if your fingers get fried when touching the
heatsink.

> You might also be using memory which is too slow, or has fake
> parity instead of real parity (don't do that).  Slow memory
> tends to become more of an issue when you stick in a lot of it,
> since the DMA refresh doesn't get around to each bank in time;
> this is particularly problematic if you are doing heavy I/O,
> so that the memory bus is latched for DMA, and refresh is thus
> delayed really long due to bus hold times; this is usually
> possible to adjust in the drivers or controller configurations
> and is often called "bus on" time.

*Very* unlikely. Alpha machines are built to really drive lots
of memory. Not this whimpy PC stuff that drives only 4 SIMMs/DIMMs
from a single ASIC.

> - I've occasionally loaded a machine with too much memory for
> it to reasonably handle refresh, given the memory bus speed
> and the bus-on time for some PCI controllers (I had an Adaptec
> that was a bus hog; when I loaded the disk subsystem with the
> extra amount of RAM, the refresh failed, and the system lost
> its mind).

Again, unlikely.

> A TLB error means that the contents of a Translation Lookaside
> Buffer are incorrect.  This could be a kernel bug.

Or the CPU is dead/dying. Seen that before..