Date:      Sun, 19 Mar 1995 17:15:03 -0800
From:      Paul Traina <pst>
To:        wollman
Cc:        current
Subject:   /etc/rc named change

I think that the change in boot file location for named is gratuitous.
The world expects named to look for /etc/named.boot and when you changed
it, you screwed everyone who runs a nameserver with their boot file as
/etc/named.boot.

Lots of folks don't want to worry about their named stuff getting overwritten
by their OS vendor, so they keep there files in /usr/local/etc/namedb or
some such location and fix up /etc/named.boot to do the right thing.

By moving the start file with no warning, you've made things break in a
silent way (I didn't know my nameserver wasn't serving my domain for the
last 18 hours because it was busy using the bloody default files from the
distribution.)

I think a better choice would be to leave the distribution crud in /etc/namedb
as it currently is,  but have the make distribution script create a symlink
between /etc/named.boot and /etc/namedb/named.boot if no /etc/named.boot
file is present.

Paul