Date:      Tue, 9 Nov 1999 08:07:13 -0500
From:      "Gray, David W." <David_W_Gray@tvratings.com>
To:        "'freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Re: Student project ideas

Y'know, I'd like to see the output go to LaTeX. Why, you might well ask? In
LaTeX, I can use a package called Vmargin to let me change the size &
*shape*
 of a page. I like to print out pages 2up 2sided, which happens to neatly
fit
in the 'pc' sized binders you see all over the place. The typical way of
doing
this is to output postscript, and use postscript code to rotate, translate,
and scale. This sucks. TeX fonts are *bitmaps* and don't scale. Also (more
importantly to me), the aspect ratio (height to width) is notably different
between an 8.5"x11" sheet (US letter) and the resulting 5.5"x8.5" half
sheet.
Also, the fonts that *do* scale (native PS), are half size, and I'm not
getting
any younger...

I guess what I'm asking for, is whatever TeX style output format you wind up

with, there be hooks in there so we can define the page appropriately. Heck,

you need this already to deal with A4/US Letter differences... A doc sized
for Letter doesn't look right on A4, and how many times have we had the
LaserJet sitting there blinking "Feed A4"?