Date:      Thu, 19 Apr 2001 08:45:29 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@DougBarton.net>
To:        Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /root and users home dir permissions

Gerhard Sittig wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 18, 2001 at 17:39 +0300, Victor Ivanov wrote:
> >
> > I noticed /root is installed with mode=0755 (and updated every
> > time by installworld). It's the root home directory... some
> > admins (like me) are using it for keeping sensitive data away
> > from regular users. Shouldn't it be mode=0700 in
> > /etc/mtree/BSD.root.dist?
>
> a+rx on /root only means that this very directory can be listed
> and entered by anybody.  There might be valid reasons for doing
> this . . .

> What keeps you from putting sensitive data into a directory one
> level deeper?

	I agree. 755 for home dirs has a long standing tradition behind it, and is
very useful in shared environments. Anything that needs to be hidden can
be, in /root or elsewhere.

Doug
--
"One thing they don't tell you about doing experimental physics is that
sometimes you must work under adverse conditions ... like a state of