Date:      Mon, 31 Aug 1998 16:31:06 +0000
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        chad@dcfinc.com
Cc:        wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu (Bill Paul), stable@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Looking for feedback on xl (3c905/3c905B) driver

> Glorioski!  No network!  The new kernel, supped as of Aug 25, no longer
> saw my vx0 device.  In fact, it didn't even probe for it.  The date on
> ../sys/pci/if_vx_pci.c is Aug 24th.  Coincidence?
>
> So my choice was to try to fall back to a prior kernel and figure out
> what got broken, or to march onward.  I chose the latter.  I edited my
> kernel config file to change "device vx0" to "device xl0", edited
> /etc/rc.conf to change "vx" references to "xl".  Then rebuilt the kernel
> and rebooted.
>
> As you can tell, I'm back on the net.  But has anyone chased down what
> happened to the vx driver?

There can only be one driver claim a device; when the 'xl' driver was
added, the 'vx' driver had to be changed to not claim the devices that
were taken over.

PCI drivers don't "probe for" devices; they are effectively passively
triggered by the presence of the device.  You won't see any noise at
all from a PCI driver unless the device(s) it supports are present.