Date:      Tue, 20 Apr 1999 18:45:37 +0200
From:      Thomas Uhrfelt <thomas.uhrfelt@plymovent.se>
To:        "'Jim Cassata'" <jim@web-ex.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-net@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   SV: mail redirection

> Is the FreeBSD box connecting via a modem?  Why not put user accounts on
> the FreeBSD server only?  You have to manage user accounts somewhere, why
> not on your box and not ISP?  You can have user accounts and mailboxes
> with no home directories or telnet or ftp access (what I do for POP3)

Not exactly, today we have users ( validated onto a windows NT domain ) and
each of them goes thru our ISDN on the net
emptying their mailboxes at our ISP ( different uid:s / passwords than on
logon at the NT domain ). what I want to do is for
my freebsd box to connect to the ISP, then emptying all those accounts (
about 40 or so ) and then bring em home to the
BSD box and have the users polling the BSD box instead. that way I can
control a) the costs of ISDN b) the redirection
of mail, as in having multimple recipients on the same email adress.

> If I understand your question, you may want to set the freebsd box up as
> primary mailhost for your domain through DNS, with the other mail server
> acting as secondary, spooling incoming mail until your box connects and is
> sent the mail.  If your primary is offline (eg the modem isn't dialled up)
> mail will collect on the secondary.

I want it to be the only mailhost for my domain, the users shouldnt even know
that their mailboxes are in fact
on the ISPs computers.. all the mail the will see is coming from the BSD box.

/ Thomas