Date:      Fri, 16 Feb 2001 14:26:23 -0600
From:      "Jacques A. Vidrine" <n@nectar.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Wish List (was: Re: The /usr/bin/games bikeshed again)

On Fri, Feb 16, 2001 at 08:11:29PM +0000, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > I did this just as proof-of-concept: no doubt there are caveats to a
> > big rollout.  However, there is lots of activity in this area on the
> > various Kerberos lists. Microsoft even has documentation on their
> > website regarding interoperability with MIT Kerberos V.
>
> Interoperability only as a client, or have they documented
> their illegal use of the reserved field, so that you can be
> a server?

The Microsoft website is where I got enough information to configure a
Windows 2000 machine as a client to MIT and Heimdal KDCs.  It was
primarily a matter of locating the right utilities for managing tickets.

> My personal opinion is that they should be snubbed, so long
> as they insis they be treated as the only valid server OS.

Indeed.  However, I am happy at the prospect that within the next couple
of years there will be a majority of systems on the planet that can be
Kerberos clients.

It is funny to me how long it has taken ... it was at some panel at
UniForum 1992 that I first heard Microsoft say they would integrate
Kerberos as the security mechanism ``in the next release of Windows NT''
:-)  Windows NT 3.1 was not yet shipping or had just shipped, I can't
remember which.

The same panel had IBM claiming that OS/2 would be ``the most compatible
operating system in the world'' each time a question came up, but no
details.  Lots of snickering in the audience whenever this was repeated.
Granted, this was Cannavino talking.

Oh wait, sorry, I thought I was in -chat for a minute there :-)
--
Jacques Vidrine / n@nectar.com / jvidrine@verio.net / nectar@FreeBSD.org