Date:      Wed, 30 Jul 1997 16:29:31 +0930 (CST)
From:      grog@FreeBSD.ORG
To:        bill@twwells.com (T. William Wells)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Questions), scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: can't get panic dump

T. William Wells writes:
> I'm running 2.2.2-RELEASE. I have 32M of RAM. I have bounce
> buffers in my config. The SCSI controller is an Adaptec 1540. It
> dumps 16M and then at the 16M boundary complains about DMA beyond
> end of ISA and stops dumping. Any ideas?

I think you've hit a bug.

> Config and boot messages appended (from a run with 16M, where I
> can get a complete dump).
>
> machine         "i386"
> cpu             "I486_CPU"
> ident           TWWELLS
> maxusers        16
> config          kernel root on sd0
>
> options         "COMPAT_43"             #Compatible with BSD 4.3 [KEEP THIS!]
> options         BOUNCE_BUFFERS

This is the option that *should* prevent the "DMA beyond end of ISA"
message.  But I'm getting it too.

One minor nit: obviously you are running beyond the 16 MB boundary.
But your dmesg output shows only 16 MB.  I'm guessing that you've
disabled the other half in order to get the machine to run.  Is there
anything else in the dmesg output which is less obvious?

I'm forwarding this to the SCSI mailing list, where I just sent a
similar message describing my own problems.  If there's anybody else
out there on -questions who are having this problem, please let us
know.

Greg