Date:      Tue, 31 May 2005 14:21:38 -0400
From:      "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>
To:        Jonathan Noack <noackjr@alumni.rice.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-cvsweb@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Error: Failed to spawn GNU rlog

On 31 May 2005 at 13:03, Jonathan Noack wrote:

> On 05/31/05 05:07, Dan Langille wrote:

> >>To see what the actual error is, comment out the redirection of
> >>STDERR on lines 2131 and 2138 (with 2.0.6) and see if you get
> >>anything in your web server error logs.
> >

> > Use of uninitialized value in exec at /usr/local/www/cgi-
> > bin/cvsweb.cgi line 2481.
> > Use of uninitialized value in exec at /usr/local/www/cgi-
> > bin/cvsweb.cgi line 2481.
> > Can't exec "": No such file or directory at /usr/local/www/cgi-
> > bin/cvsweb.cgi line 2481.
> >
> > NOTE: I'm on cvsweb-3.0.5_1 (was on 2 at the start of this
> > exercise).
>
> With 3.0.5 you can define DEBUG in cvsweb.conf instead of commenting
> out the STDERR redirection lines.  Look for it near the bottom.
>
> > The 2481 line is : exec(@cmd, @files) or exit -1;
> >
> > I have done a "chmod -R www" on the repo directory.  That's more
> > rights than the rest of the website.
>
> Do you mean "chown -R www"?

Yes.

> While we're taking drastic measures with permissions, do a "chmod -R
> +r"...

Done.

> > If I print anything out before line 2481, I get to see this on the
> > webpage:
> >
> > NOTE: There are 19 files, but none matches the current tag.
>
> Make sure you send anything you print to STDERR.

Understood. I've removed those prints for now.

> > Q: Could this copy of the repo be corrupted/incomplete and causing
> > the above problems?
>
> Perhaps, but if you have the time let's try to figure it out.

Yep.  I have a bit of time now, and more later tonight, after 6:30 PM
EST.

Have a look at

http://develop.freshports.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/www/non-ports/ now.
cvsweb.conf now contains '$DEBUG = 1;'.

I've solved it.  It's luser error.  I was using cvsweb.conf-
freebsd.dist as a starting point.  I just tried cvsweb.conf.dist as a
starting point (only CVSrepositories was altered) and now everything
seems to be working.

My thanks for the help.  My apologies for not finding this myself.

Should we continue looking at cvsweb.conf-freebsd.dist ?
--
Dan Langille : http://www.langille.org/
BSDCan - The Technical BSD Conference - http://www.bsdcan.org/