Date:      Fri, 27 Mar 1998 10:51:50 +1100
From:      John Saunders <john.saunders@scitec.com.au>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: One step forward....

Sue Blake wrote:
> > I spent three full days trying different things, whining to the newsgroup
> > ...FreeBSD.Misc, and combing the archives before I ran across a line that said
> > the /CD-ROM was a separate file system and had to be mounted.  I mounted it and
> > boom I could read my CD.
>
> Ooohh, isn't it awful when that happens, slog, slog, lots of helpful advice,
> and it turns out to be something so "simple and obvious"... to everyone else!

I run the KDE desktop on which I have setup a CD icon on the desktop.
So now I simply click on the icon and it auto-mounts the CD for me,
then gives me a file browser pointing to the CD. To unmount I have to
right click the icon and select unmount though. KDE is in the ports
collection and is well worth the time to set up.

I also seem to recall a while ago that it's possible to configure the
NFS automounter "amd" to work with a CDROM. So basically you would
cd into /cdrom and "amd" would notice this and automatically mount
the CD for you. Once you stop using the CD for some timeout period it
would unmount the CD again. But I believe that getting it going is
big magic given the lack of amd information.

The true power of Unix is that all these things are possible. The
"problem" with unix is that they are not enabled by default (to
retain traditional operation). Hopefully something like KDE will
come along and make a difference.

Cheers.
      .   | John Saunders   mailto:John.Saunders@scitec.com.au  (Work) |
  ,--_|\  |                 mailto:john@nlc.net.au              (Home) |
 /  Oz  \ |                 http://www.nlc.net.au/~john/               |
 \_,--\_/ | SCITEC LIMITED  Phone +61 2 9428 9563  Fax +61 2 9428 9933 |
       v  |    "By the time you make ends meet, they move the ends."   |