Date:      Wed, 17 Feb 1999 13:03:58 +1030 (CST)
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   SMP and SO5.0

Hi,
I downloaded Star Office 5 and only THEN realised that the code for doing linux thread
emulation is #ifndef SMP :) Still, after downloading 70 meg over a 56k modem and paying
19c/meg I was gonna try the sucker regardless.. And well, it works!

The install hung at the end, after its done everything, so I killed it, but after that I
can run it with (seemingly) no problems.. (Except for the 2000 odd 'shared address space
fork attempted' messages in my syslog)

I only had a quick fiddle, but it started up everything fine and ran quite well..

The install was a pain tho, as I had to unpack the setup program (its a self extracting
zip) and rename the libs in it to lower case and then add an LD_LIBRARY_PATH to point to
them, but apart from that it was OK.

Its worth noting though, that eMusic which uses Linux threads doesn't work under
emulation (it just hangs) I think I'll boot a non-SMP kernel and have a go ('cause it
took me an hour to find all of the $!@$ dependancies it needs because Linux ldd doesn't
work anymore)

---
are so many of them to choose from."