Date:      Mon, 7 Nov 2016 14:51:50 +0000 (UTC)
From:      Jules Gilbert <repeatable_compression@yahoo.com>
To:        Freebsd-security <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Fw: a factoring program I've decided to give away

    =20
----- Forwarded Message -----
 From: Jules Gilbert <repeatable_compression@yahoo.com>
 To: Paul
 Sent: Monday, November 7, 2016 9:43 AM
 Subject: a factoring program I've decided to give away
  =20
Hello Paul.
I should mention, consistent with my purpose in writing (to effect simultan=
eous distribution of a program I wrote,) several friends of mine are BCC'ed=
.
I would like to give away, using your website forum as a base, a program I =
wrote maybe five years ago.=C2=A0 The program is a fast-factoring engine.=
=C2=A0 See the attachment, I'm giving you a copy. =C2=A0 I seek to give it =
to thousands of cryptologic programmers and analyst's as simultaneously as =
possible, it's written in C, does not make use of methods based on primes, =
but instead employs what I believe is a completely different method to fact=
or numbers, presumably the product of two large primes.
My purpose is to encourage further research in this area and also to cause =
the people who make the big decisions to consider moving away from privacy =
tools based on factoring and public/private keys.=C2=A0 Why?, this simple p=
rogram localizes the smaller of the two primes used to setup an instance of=
 encryption.=C2=A0 And look how simple it is!, it's really just the junior =
program, the 'senior' program does much better.=C2=A0 (As you will see it's=
 based on functions like the 'ratio' tool included here.)

About the size of the numbers, today I use a tool that converts bignum refe=
rences to 'BSD bignum code, but when I wrote this I used MAPM.

Probably the most important thing I can say to describe it, is that it isn'=
t the kind of tool one might use to, say, break down the security of a bank=
's files.=C2=A0 Yes it can factor any pair of large integers, but it's not =
written to be the tool of a criminal, rather a tool to aid number research,=
 particularly with regard to factoring related research.=C2=A0=20

Given:
c =3D a*b, where a,b,c, are large positive integers.
And, given only 'c', it finds 'a'.=C2=A0 By convention (my convention,) 'a'=
 is the smaller factor.
The program proves the method by building a thousand example pairs of (a,b)=
 and then, using only the 'c' value, locates 'a'.=C2=A0 It takes, depending=
 the speed of one's computer, from a few hours to maybe just half an hour t=
o do all thousand problems. The thousand pairs of large numbers are assembl=
ed using random numbers.=C2=A0 Looking at the code you'll see all this, it'=
s pretty obvious.

But read this next section!

If we use c =3D a*b, then 'a' must be within the range of 3 .. sqrt(c), it =
can not be outside this range -- not if we're talking about positive intege=
rs.
My program divides this range into 1,024 sub-sections and identifies which =
32 sections the 'a' value is closest too.=C2=A0=C2=A0 Assuming we're using =
the values 'lo' and 'hi' which represent the total range, then knowing the =
approximate location of 'a', the program be used to respecify 'lo' and 'hi'=
, reflecting this smaller space and re-applied to further localize the exac=
t value of 'a'.=20

Though I'd like to say my program is doing a true binary decomposition -- s=
omething that many researchers have been attempting, no -- my program isn't=
 quite that.=20

When the number of sub-sections is 1,024 and the program resolves 'a' to on=
e of 32 sub-sections, that's a five bit gain.=C2=A0 True, five bits isn't m=
uch when compared to the thousands of bits that is typical for 'c'.=C2=A0 W=
hich is why re-application is so important.

Originally I wrote code to do backup when necessary;=C2=A0 When the program=
 makes a wrong choice the process quickly fails, and the program backs up s=
everal steps (originally the default back-step value was set to five,) and =
then retry making the alternative choice five steps back.=C2=A0 Because I'm=
 trying to avoid empowering criminals and similar types, I've cut that logi=
c out from what I'm giving away.=C2=A0=20

And second, also deter bad guys, I include only one "left-right deciding" m=
ethod.=C2=A0 These are the lowest level routines that are the basis of prog=
ram operation.=C2=A0=C2=A0 Originally I used GAC, one of Spear's genetic to=
ols (which btw, are pretty cool, and very easy to use!, too.)=C2=A0=C2=A0 T=
he method provided works but isn't the best one.=C2=A0 (eg., I don't think =
a "best" one exists, this is a probabilistic problem.)=C2=A0 What's really =
best is to use several and vote the answers, to go left or right.=C2=A0 The=
 'ratio' model I supply is simple and sufficient for others to learn from.

The program core makes use of a very simple left-right decider, which takes=
 advantage of the differing limits of two sums, each sum derived by summing=
 the results of modulus taking arithmetic.=C2=A0 I don't know if this prope=
rty is known to others, (as I discuss above,) I discovered it using mechani=
cal search techniques.=C2=A0=20

So why am I publishing this at all, and why now?=C2=A0 First, my work relat=
ing to prediction has taken a turn that I want to pursue.=C2=A0 (And ah, my=
 health isn't so good -- I do what I'm supposed to, but I'm still declining=
.)

But second, the more I learn about number theory and some related topics, t=
he more I fear the NSA made a mistake forty years ago by focusing most Amer=
ican cryptography on factoring and public-key methods.=C2=A0 Why was this s=
uch an awful mistake?, because science always moves forward, and what was i=
mpossibly hard forty years ago is today is today millions of times easier.=
=C2=A0 (eg., more feasible.)
The NSA website encourages researchers to publish, to bring forward their i=
deas, to tell others.=C2=A0 I contacted them privately two years ago, and t=
hen again, perhaps a year ago, at the time American police stations were ge=
tting hit by the Russian mob and I wanted to help the NSA to stop this.=C2=
=A0 Each time I offered my consulting service, each time no one thought eno=
ugh of my offer to reply.=C2=A0 Okay -- though when I had my career and app=
lied for work I always, without fail, always, either got the work or at lea=
st a nice letter in reply.=C2=A0 Apparently the NSA has different standards=
...=C2=A0 (From what the news reports are saying they prefer people such as=
 Snowden and now, Martin.)
Anyway, I have something else I'm working on but since my health isn't so g=
ood and since I fear we (our nation,) is headed into worse problems, maybe =
I can at least improve our cryptologic health by encouraging America's IT m=
anager's to move away from methods that more and more seem to be weak and s=
uspect.=C2=A0 Yes I mean methods based on factoring.

For me to post the program you will need to give me my account name and pas=
sword, I've forgotten them.=C2=A0 Sorry.
The program is attached.

  =20