Date:      24 Oct 1999 19:12:59 -0400
From:      "Robert V. Baron" <rvb@cs.cmu.edu>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        J McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>, Steve O'Hara-Smith <steveo@iol.ie>, Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>, mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, Daniel O'Connor <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>, Adam Laurie <adam@algroup.co.uk>
Subject:   Re: pccardd initializes interf. too late (arpwatch port exits ea

Warner Losh <imp@village.org> writes:

> In message <yzsk8ofcqkx.fsf@sicily.odyssey.cs.cmu.edu> "Robert
> V. Baron" writes:
> : What the sleep does is almost the opposite.  It delays the entire boot process
> : for 15 seconds after pccardd is started.  This means that pccardd has enough
> : time to do its thing and find the devices.  So the system behaves more like
> : the pcmcia devices were found during the system device probe.
>
> That's why -z is a good idea.  It delays the boot process slightly,
> but makes sure that your nic cards are probed early in the boot
> process so sendmail, et al will have a better chance of working.
I'll experiment with setting pccardd_flags=-z vs the sleep, on Monday.
BUT, it is wrong to not have either because all these network things
start during boot up w/o a network.  Clearly the sleep is lame, so since
you've been officially hacking pccard support (in the kernel) why don't
you fix /etc/defaults/rc.conf to do:
	pccardd_flags=-z