Date:      Sat, 19 Mar 2005 10:25:59 -0800
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@freebsd.org>
To:        Adam Weinberger <adamw@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Murray Stokely <murray@freebsdmall.com>
Subject:   Re: fam

--=-FkisQ9N8HSQbcv5j8UEj

If memory serves me right, Adam Weinberger wrote:
> Bruce A. Mah wrote:
> > If memory serves me right, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> >=20
> >=20
> >>Alas, we used to have a section about this in our (FreeBSD GNOME) FAQ.
> >>However, since we enabled FAM support by default in gnomevfs2, we
> >>dropped it.  I think it would be worth adding back in as its own FAQ,
> >>but I'm not sure if that's the best place to disseminate the
> >>information.
> >=20
> >=20
> > Well, I'm strongly influenced by my ex-RE-ness, but I'd think that the
> > release notes would be one (but not the only) reasonable place to put
> > this.  We already have a note for the 2.10 upgrade, and I think that it
> > could use a little more explication vis a vis:
> >=20
> > 1.  The gnome_upgrade.sh script no longer upgrades ports that GNOME
> > depends on (but are not parts of GNOME itself).  Users may need to
> > manually upgrade certain ports (for example, using portupgrade(1))
> > before running the upgrade script to ensure that they are compatible
> > with GNOME 2.10.  Specific examples are devel/libtool15 (1.5.10_1 or
> > later required) and print/freetype2 (2.1.9 or later required).
>=20
> That is incorrect.

That wasn't very helpful.  What part is incorrect?  I see a lot of
messages on this list where users are saying "Arg!  My upgrade fell
down!" and the reply is "upgrade freetype" or "upgrade libtool".  I just
wanted to cut down on the cries for help, before people on this list
have to deal with the inevitable cries for help after 5.4 is released.

If you guys want to add it to the GNOME FAQ, that's fine, but right now
there's no place in the documentation that mentions this problem.

(And I know this has nothing to do with FAM.)

> > 2.  GNOME includes support for the File Alteration Monitor (devel/fam)
> > by default, in order to improve the GNOME desktop's ability to respond
> > to files being added, deleted, or modified by other programs.  To take
> > advantage of this functionality, FAM must be enabled in inetd.conf(5).
> > More information can be found in ports/devel/fam/pkg-message.
>=20
> I have no problem with that message, but it's in no way new news.=20
> Nautilus has had fam support since at least 2.0.

OK, forget it then.

Bruce.

--=-FkisQ9N8HSQbcv5j8UEj

--=-FkisQ9N8HSQbcv5j8UEj--