Date:      Sun, 28 Nov 1999 16:38:38 -0600
From:      "Richard Seaman, Jr." <dick@tar.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
Cc:        "Richard Seaman, Jr." <dick@tar.com>, arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: syscall overhead.

On Sun, Nov 28, 1999 at 02:32:50PM -0800, Julian Elischer wrote:

> > I don't have any threaded apps that come close to this, but perhaps
> > they exist.  And, unless you can fix the "user thread" scheduler so
> > it doesn't make any syscalls, its hard to see much of an advantage
> > for user thread context switches over kernel thread context switches,
> > from a performance standpoint. (The current user thread scheduler
> > can actually be slower at context switches that kernel threads,
> > because of the nubmer of syscalls it makes).
> >

> yes but have we catalogued those calls?

Not me, but it's not hard.

> I am guessing that we can probably get rid of a lot of them by appropriate
> kernel support.

For sure.  Its interesting, but I think good "user threads" needs
a lot more kernel support than pure "kernel threads".  The real
question, which might really make a difference, is can you get
rid of *all* syscalls for at least some subset of the UTS context
switches.  I don't think you can get rid of at least one syscall
in at least some cases.

> For example threads blocking and unblocking signals for various reasons..
> I'm certain we could do the same lazy blocking that the kernel
> presently does So that blocking a signal would be simply a case of
> setting a bit.

Or, as another example, is there a way to implement shared scheduling
information between the kernel and the UTS without a syscall for
every bit of shared information.

--
Richard Seaman, Jr.           email: dick@tar.com
5182 N. Maple Lane            phone: 262-367-5450