Date:      Sun, 29 Nov 2009 21:01:11 PST
From:      Dieter <freebsd@sopwith.solgatos.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Marvell MV88SX6081 on FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE

In message <4B13159D.9010504@darkbsd.org>, Stephane LAPIE writes:

> On FreeBSD 8.0, attempting to scrub a ZFS pool results in a few I/O
> bursts (confirmed with zpool iostat), before totally freezing down and
> locking the ZFS pool (the system is still up and only ZFS based file
> systems are unusable in this state), probably to avoid data corruption.
> Occasionally I also witness a "READ_DMA48 soft error (ECC corrected)"
> error message showing up, on a random hard disk.

And there are these, which you didn't mention:
> ad1: FAILURE - SET_MULTI status=3D51<READY,DSC,ERROR> error=3D4<ABORTED>
> ad12: FAILURE - SET_MULTI status=3D51<READY,DSC,ERROR> error=3D4<ABORTED>
(No, I don't know what that means, sorry.)

> ad18: 1430799MB <Seagate ST31500341AS CC1H> at ata9-master SATA300
> ad20: 1430799MB <Seagate ST31500341AS SD1A> at ata10-master SATA300

How old is the SD1A disk?  As you may know, Seagate had various troubles
with the .11 firmware.  I have some of the ST31500341AS CC1H and mine are
new enough that they are supposed to be ok.

> Therefore, I am inclined to think the motherboard/memory (a "TYAN
> Thunder K8WE S2895") would be at fault here,

I have been told that Tyan does a good job with memory, although even
assuming that's true it could still be a memory problem.  My Tyan
board has a memory scrubbing feature that can be turned on in
firmware, but I've never tried it.  Also, you could try rotating the
SIMMs and see if anything changes.