Date:      Sun, 13 Oct 1996 12:04:29 -0400
From:      Craig Shrimpton <craigs@os.com>
To:        "Jeffrey S. Combs" <combs@voicenet.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs linux

On Sun, 13 Oct 1996, Jeffrey S. Combs wrote:

> I trying to decide whether to get FreeBSD or linux.
> Do you have some ideas about the differences between
> the two?  Our could you direct me to a list of pros

My compressed opinion is:

Linux for desktop.

FreeBSD for networking.

Linux has tons more software ports and "Bleeding Edge" features.

FreeBSD is much more robust as a network router.

Routing functionality is the key apparent difference between the
two.  Linux 2.0 did introduce a nice alias feature that from a
management standpoint is better than FreeBSD's.  However, one could
argue all day about which is better so why not get both and dual-boot?

-Craig

| Craig Shrimpton                   |  e-mail: craigs@os.com             |
| Orbit Systems                     |  information: info@os.com          |
| Worcester, MA       508.753.8776  |  http://www.os.com/                |