Date:      Tue, 20 Nov 2001 09:38:36 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@scsiguy.com>
To:        "Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: weird problems with on-board Adaptec 7880

>On Mon, Nov 19, 2001 at 03:08:48PM -0700, Justin T. Gibbs wrote:
>> I don't think the syncrate problem is at all related to why the bus does
>> not work.  The bus doesn't work because termination *on the controller*
>> is not set correctly.  Your test with the 2940U can't detect all termination
>> issues.
>
>Maybe. I supposed that termination at the controller side was working.
>However, if termination on the controller is always on, then it should
>work when there are devices attached to only one of the two SCSI onboard
>connectors. OTOH, if termination is always off, then it should work when
>there are terminated device chains attached to both onboard SCSI
>connectors... or am I wrong?

It really depends on how the MB is wired.  Some MBs don't allow any
software control of the termination from the aic7xxx chip.  Since I
haven't used your board, I can't say.

>> The dump is only useful with an understanding of the corresponding
>> SCSI Select settings.  Please go into SCSI select and set the transfer
>> rate from fastest to slowest across the SCSI IDs.  This will provide
>> a better understanding of how this BIOS is setting the SEEPROM.  Also
>> include the SCSI BIOS version for this controller.
>
>Well, I did the following tests (logs attached):

I'm on my way out of town so I will not be able to look at these until
next Monday.  In the mean time, can you send me one last log with each
of the 16 devices set to a different transfer rate.  It is much easier
to look at a single dump that shows all possible speeds (highest to lowest),
then to piece together 5 different logs that don't cover all of the
possible settings.

--
Justin