Date:      Fri, 01 Dec 2000 06:30:29 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make buildworld fails

Dave Hayes wrote:

> Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com> writes:
> > I did a cvsup build of 3 systems using 4-stable when it showed up as
> > 4.2-release. How did you install 4.2 and did you cvsup src-all.
>
> This is a 3.3-RELEASE system upgrading to 4.2, I did cvsup src-all,
>
> > You are dying building the gnu /binutils. Function mkstemps is a
> > function in the Standard C Library libc and is located at
> > /usr/src/contrib/binutils/libiberty/. It is almost like you are
> > missing a
> > ldconfig -R /usr/obj/usr/src/lib/libc
> > or libc doesn't exist because of the install.
>
> This could very well be. I am following the instructions in UPGRADING
> under "To update from 3.x to 4.x stable".

The general comment is that you have to be at 3.5 to do that. However,
Engelshall had a process that worked for almost every concievable
difficulty at 3.5 > 4.x. There were somethings fixed in the week or so
after 4.2 was released and you might consider 4-stable. Some things in
Engleshall's procedure are out of date such as mv'ing /MYKERNEL to
/kernel but it touches on some of your problems. See

http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=51796+57580+/usr/local/www/db/text/2000/freebsd-stable/20001015.freebsd-stable

If you have to fight upgrading and making two worlds (3.5 and 4.2-R),
a binary upgrade followed by making your world and kernel will be much
faster. The 4.x buildworld just about requires 2x as long as a
buildworld in 3.x. I use the buildworld sequence from
/usr/src/UPDATING almost religiously because I cvsup everytime I do a
build. I also like the idea of building everything before I start the
installs. In my situation, I found that putting the process into a
script would have everything built when I would go back to check on
the status. Doing the individual steps typically left me at just the
end of the buildworld.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart