Date:      Wed, 5 Mar 2003 15:02:40 +0100
From:      Marco Molteni <molter@tin.it>
To:        freebsd-small@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CompactFlash under 5.0-RELEASE

Matt Peterson wrote [2003-03-05]:
> I'm not having luck formatting CF cards under 5.0-RELEASE(-P3) with the
> GENERIC kernel.  The same PCMCIA adapter and card work fine under a
> 4.7-STABLE laptop...
>
> Did something change (besides NEWCARD), maybe ATAPI/ATA updates?  I've
> tried both Lexas & Apacer adapters; Lexar, Sundisk and Tawain Inc. cards,
> all the same results.
>
> kernel: ata2 at port 0x140-0x14f irq 11 function 0 config 1 on pccard1
> kernel: ad4: 61MB <SanDisk SDCFB-64> [490/8/32] at ata2-master BIOSPIO
>
> # disklabel -r ad4
> disklabel: bad pack magic number (label is damaged, or pack is unlabeled)
>
> # dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ad4 bs=1k count=32
> 32+0 records in
> 32+0 records out
> 32768 bytes transferred in 0.100715 secs (325354 bytes/sec)kruder
>
> # disklabel -w ad4 auto
> disklabel: Operation not supported by device

In 5.x the disklabel utility is still in a state of flux, and not
fully working, especially if the device is already open (this doesn't
seem to be your case). See the -current mailing list of 2003-01 and
2003-02 for details.

Did you try disklabel ad4 (without the -r) ?

I am not an expert of 5.x, so this is almost everything I
know. Another working workaround is to boot 4-stable (for example the
1st bootable installation cd) to be able to use the disklabel command
from there.

marco