Date:      Thu, 12 Oct 1995 07:15:35 +0200 (SAT)
From:      John Hay <jhay@mikom.csir.co.za>
To:        dennis@etinc.com (dennis)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD-hackers)
Subject:   Re: IPX now available

> >> I have a working IPX that I derived from the XNS (/sys/netns) code in
> FreeBSD.
> >> We use it mostly for routing. I have changed ifconfig and netstat to
> understand
> >> IPX and build IPXrouted with IPX RIP and SAP support.
> >>
> >> I didn't do SPX because we did not need it and I only changed the ed ethernet
> >> driver because we use SMC cards. It only works for Ethernet II and not the
> >> 802.3 ethernet protocol that Novell used as a default for a long time.
> >>
> >> There is minimal changes to the kernel. There is about 3 files (device
> drivers
> >> excluded) and sys/netipx that is new.
> >>
> >> If you want it, I will clean it up a bit and put it somewhere for ftp.
> >>
> How about making the 802.3 work? It shouldn't be difficult, and lots of us
> (and I do mean LOTS) are still using it and have no good reason to change.

It isn't difficult to support 802.3. The problem is in setting it from the
userlevel. If it is just a kernel compile time option it should be easy. I
have thought of using one of the link flags in the ifnet structure, then
you can just add it to the ifconfig commandline. It would mean the minimum
changes. I think you would only need to change if_ethersubr.c then.

What do the rest of the people think?

John
--
John Hay -- John.Hay@csir.co.za