Date:      Mon, 11 Jun 2001 07:13:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mark Yeck <y3k@gti.net>
To:        Foldi Peter <ego_@freemail.hu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de>
Subject:   Re: install ports behind a http proxy

On 11-Jun-01 Christoph Sold wrote:

> Foldi Peter schrieb:
>>
>> I've got FreeBSD 4.3. I'm behind a http proxy. How can I get the make to
>> get things through this
>> proxy. I've found the file in /etc/defaults/ directory and I gave the
>> address of the proxy,
>> but the make can't connect to any sites.
>
> If you're located behind a http-only firewall, you have to contact the
> firewall administrator. Standard FreeBSD mirrors support only ftp
> install media.

In the man page for fetch(3), there are environment variables for using
proxy servers, FTP_PROXY and HTTP_PROXY and HTTP_PROXY_AUTH, though I've
never gotten them to work through my proxy server.
Netscape can be used to ftp through http proxy servers. For ports, I've been
using netscape to download the files I need, and putting them in
/usr/ports/distfiles.

-mark