Date:      Sun, 21 Nov 1999 11:15:23 +0000
From:      Edward Knight <efknight@bellsouth.net>
To:        "questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   copying filesystems into larger disk

My original FBSD disk is running out of space.  I got a larger disk and
partitioned it
for FBS, created larger filesystems with the same mount points using the
minimal instalation.

Now I want to use cpio to copy the filesystems from the old disk to the
new one.  I think this is what I need to do, please correct me if I'm
wrong.

From / in the old disk do  find . -depth -print > /usr/tmp/fs.cp

Connect the new disk as primary on the secondary IDE controller
mount /dev/wd1s1a /mnt
mount /dev/wd1s1e /mnt/var
mount /dev/wd1s1f /mnt/usr

cpio -pdumvt /mnt </tmp/fs.cp

This should unconditionaly overwrite the files in the minimal
instalation and copy in all the
stuff from the old disk.
I am assuming all links will be copied/created on the new disk as links.

Thanks,
Ted Knight