Date:      Mon, 25 Mar 1996 20:21:42 -0500
From:      Nathan Vidican <nate@MNSi.Net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   A little clarification...

Dear List,

	I have been inquiring recently about X-Terminals. The reason being, not
that I wish to purchase them, but rather because I already have many such
similar devices...
	I have, (or the schoolboard rather), approximately 2000 graphics-capable
10Base-2 *nix-based terminals. They were manufactured by Unisys Canada, (up
until '92 @ which time production ceased), which has branched off a
department deemed the "iconix" group, (whom is supposed to take care of
support for such hardware). To make a long story shorter...they
cannot/will-not provide support on them...So I am all on my own.
	They origionally ran on Unisys' own hacked-up version of QNX, with their
own GUI called "Icon-Look". I have a (supposedly) functioning copy of the
O/S install disks...but have not yet been able to read, or even copy them,
(tried using FreeBSD's "dd if=/dev/fd0 of=/usr/disk1.flp" type-of-command,
but it reports errors reading the disks). As I said, software support is
refused, as is replacement. This was the "straw that broke the camel's
back" so-to-speak, in that I am now no longer interested in making them run
the old(er) QNX-based system, but rather I want to make them run FreeBSD,
(and if possible...eventually X).
	So to ask my question(s) with a little more clarity...does anyone know of
how I may make these beast startup? I have currently setup tftp, and
bootpd, and they report:
Requesting Operating System From Specified Node...  (on some...says failed,
and then reports):
Requesting Operating System From Default Node
(after either, it continues to report):
Node Found, awaiting Operating System...
(at which...the system error's out, and continually retry's, apparentl NOT
getting what it wants).
	I think that what I require, is to make the correct boot image for
them...but even if I make/obtain such an image, (both of which I am not
sure how to do...), I do not know how to implement it. So I was hoping,
that by sending such a message as this...there may be someone like you out
there who could provide further insight/direction into the eventual
solution of my problem. I appreciate all input you may have to offer, and
look forward to recieving it.

Nathan Vidican
nate@mnsi.net