Date:      Wed, 4 Nov 1998 18:54:28 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it (Luigi Rizzo)
Cc:        seggers@semyam.dinoco.de, bf20761@binghamton.edu, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How sync() gets called every 30 seconds?

> > > Hi, Can anyone tell me where in the source code the sync() (in
> > > vfs_syscalls.c) is set up to be called every 30 seconds?
> >
> > In vfs_subr.c with a SYSINIT_KT() and an associated struct.  This
> > creates a process which consists of sched_sync.
>
> speaking of this... is this parametrized ?

It's parameterized.

> On a laptop, i wonder if
> syncing every 30s while doing ordinary activities (e.g. editing) defeats
> completely the disk auto-shutdown routines. Because power failures are
> less frequent (i hope!) in that environment, is there any other reason
> to have frequent SYNCs ?

There's no reason for sync's at all, if your word processor's pages
are all paged in, and you don't have "autosave" turned on.

If you have "autosave" on, it's going to happen whether you want
it to or not.

d in, and you don't have "autosave" turned on.

If you have "autosave" on, it's going to happen whether you want
it to or not.

There may be a case of the access time being updated for executable
files being paged from... I seem to remember looking into this very
issue a while back and seeing something along those lines.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.