Date:      Wed, 12 Dec 2012 10:01:34 -0700
From:      Chad Perrin <perrin@apotheon.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Release Date Challenge, plus other stuff the project needs

--FL5UXtIhxfXey3p5

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 01:52:04AM -0500, Anonymous wrote:
> We, the users of FreeBSD, *do hereby challenge* the FreeBSD project
> to meet its future release dates.

I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for 9.1-RELEASE to be finalized.  I
desperately want it as soon as possible for a laptop currently running
such a piece of shit OS (Debian -- used to be good, but after half a
dozen years away it went significantly downhill) that I'm about ready to
pull out my hair.  It needs hardware support not available with FreeBSD
until now, and I want stable, -RELEASE software on it to suit my needs.

That having been said, I don't "challenge" the FreeBSD project to meet
future release dates.  This isn't Ubuntu; it's FreeBSD.  I'd rather they
get it *right* than get it out *quickly*.  Hell, even before I stopped
using Debian, when I thought it was still good, there were signs of its
impending slide into crappiness -- and they all happened around the time
the Debian project started trying to meet release dates on a faster
development schedule.

No . . . I don't want to push the FreeBSD core team to sacrifice the
things that make FreeBSD valuable just to meet arbitrary release date
guesstimates.  Screw that.

>=20
> Why: Because the FreeBSD project has not met a significant number
> of its release dates. It's an apalling state of affairs and makes
> you, the project, look silly. Business and personal users plan
> elements of their schedules, budgets and capabilities around OS
> updates. And the continual failure of FreeBSD to deliver causes us
> to have no alternative but to look at our bosses and just shrug.
> We've taken to padding it out a week, two weeks, a month, two
> months... just to cover the random slippage. Since there seems to
> be no public statements about this ongoing situation, we might as
> well pad it to a quarter or a half... FreeBSD's already a half
> behind on status reports.

Here you make a point I'd like to see addressed.  I wish we had a simple
way to find out what's going on with the wait.  That doesn't mean I want
anyone prioritizing speed over quality, though.

--=20

--FL5UXtIhxfXey3p5

--FL5UXtIhxfXey3p5--