Date:      Tue, 31 Jul 2012 21:09:28 -0700
From:      Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com>
To:        Jeremy Messenger <mezz.freebsd@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: MATE 'base' desktop is ready for anyone to test it.

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 4:38 PM, Jeremy Messenger
<mezz.freebsd@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 1:09 PM, Jeremy Messenger
> <mezz.freebsd@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> The MATE base desktop (x11/mate-base) is ready to use and test. The
>> MATE base is a very lite and lean desktop. The MATE base list can be
>> viewed at http://wiki.mate-desktop.org/building . I will add more
>> applications that are in the 'Extras' list that will be in the
>> x11/mate (doesn't exist as now).
> <snip>
>
> The x11/mate has been created. I want anyone to keep in mind about
> that I am deaf. I have no idea if the sound works or not, so feel free
> to report and I will see what I can do with it.

Thanks, Mezz!

Looks like MATE is gathering steam. I saw that Fedora is switching
from Gnome3 to MATE while Mint had previously announced the same
thing. (But then, Mint was largely born of dislike of the Gnome based
Unity desktop in Ubuntu.)

I'm trying to gather the courage to give it a try.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: kob6558@gmail.com