Date:      Fri, 17 Jun 2016 10:21:26 -0600
From:      Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>
To:        Russell Haley <russ.haley@gmail.com>, freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: pkg failing on cubox-hummingboard-alpha3?

On Thu, 2016-06-16 at 23:24 -0700, Russell Haley wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 10:35 PM, Russell Haley <russ.haley@gmail.com
> > wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Is pkg supposed to work on alpha3?
> >
> > root@imx6:~ # pkg
> > The package management tool is not yet installed on your system.
> > Do you want to fetch and install it now? [y/N]: y
> > Bootstrapping pkg from
> > pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/FreeBSD:11:armv6/latest, please wait...
> > Verifying signature with trusted certificate
> > pkg.freebsd.org.2013102301... done
> > pkg: failed to extract pkg-static: Can't create
> > '/usr/local/sbin/pkg-static'
> >
> > I found the archive here:
> > http://pkg.freebsd.org/FreeBSD:11:armv6/latest/Latest/
> >
> Okay, some how after portsnap fetch extract I get a different error:
>
> root@imx6:~ # pkg update
> The package management tool is not yet installed on your system.
> Do you want to fetch and install it now? [y/N]: y
> Bootstrapping pkg from
> pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/FreeBSD:11:armv6/latest, please wait...
> Verifying signature with trusted certificate
> pkg.freebsd.org.2013102301... done
> pkg-static: Cannot open /(null): Not a directory
> Installing pkg-1.8.3...
> the most recent version of pkg-1.8.3 is already installed
> root@imx6:~ # pkg install vim
> The package management tool is not yet installed on your system.
> Do you want to fetch and install it now? [y/N]: y
> Bootstrapping pkg from
> pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/FreeBSD:11:armv6/latest, please wait...
> Verifying signature with trusted certificate
> pkg.freebsd.org.2013102301... done
> pkg-static: Cannot open /(null): Not a directory
> Installing pkg-1.8.3...
> the most recent version of pkg-1.8.3 is already installed
>

> and just an endless loop like that.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Russ

There was a commit yesterday to increase the size of /tmp, which was
related to pkg needing more space.  I wonder if that's what you're
running into?  I think they upped it to 50m, but that doesn't seem like
a big enough /tmp for everyday use to me (but apparently it's big
enough for pkg).  Try increasing the /tmp size in /etc/fstab.

-- Ian