Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 2001 10:18:16 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Danny Braniss <danny@cs.huji.ac.il>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dell PERC 3 support?

> In message <20010123012109.O26076@fw.wintelcom.net>you write:
> }A friend just asked me if we support the PERC 3 cards shipped in
> }Dell servers.  If not, anyone have a recommendation for a controller
> }in the same price performance category that is supported?
>
> if it's a Dell p-somthing 2450, then there is support,
> 	http://people.freebsd.org/~msmith/RAID
>
> i couldn't boot from the raid, and only tested raid0 (only had 2 disks)
> and the speeds were very nice.
>
> btw, if you figure out how to make it bootable, i would like to know.

All of the RAID adapters we support are bootable.  The #1 cause of
booting problems is a geometry mismatch.  The integrated RAID controller
in the 2450 is supported by 'aac', which has three geometry options:

'2GB' mode: */255/63
'1GB' mode: */128/32
standard:    */64/32

The driver picks this setting up from the controller; if there is already
data on the disks, sysinstall may be confused into using a different
geometry.