Date:      Fri, 14 Apr 1995 19:41:30 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Ron Lenk <rlenk@xmission.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   SCSI timeout...

I have experienced some SCSI timeout problems while using FreeBSD
2.0. ( both a compilation of the "current" sources that was ftp'd
around April 2nd, and the 2.0-950412-SNAP )

I am using an Adaptec 2842 VL SCSI adapter, with a Micropolis 1.05 GB
SCSI HD (sd0), a TEXEL CD-ROM Drive (cd0), and a SyQuest 270 MB removable
cartridge drive (sd1) attached.

I had run the 2.0-920210-SNAP from the for approx. 3 weeks, at which
point, about the first week in April, I compiled from the "current"
sources. Everthing ran fine until the first of this week when I added
the SyQuest drive to the SCSI bus. I was able to fdisk, disklabel, and
create a new filesystem on the drive, and things worked great under
_light_ use. However, when I attempted to copy the contents of
/usr/src ( 110 Mb, as we all know ) to the SyQuest mounted on /mnt, I
got about half way through the copy when I began getting a kernel
message that sd0 ( the 1.05 Micropolis disk ) had timed out. I got the
message about 8 times, and then the system appeared to hang. After
doing a hard reset, I found the root filesystem (sd0a) was damaged
beyond repair ( by me, anyway ), and I was forced to attempt to
reinstall everything

I then proceded to download ( Using Windows NT ) the bin distribution
of the latest ( 950412 ) snapshot, onto the SyQuest drive. After
getting the boot, and cpio floppies installed, I attempted to install
the bindist from the DOS Partition on the SyQuest drive. Again, about
halfway into the process, I began getting the timeout messages ( now
for both drives ), and I was forced to reboot the machine. This is
where I gave up.

I have looked into the obvious problems, i.e. problems with either of
the disks, improper termination of the SCSI bus, excessive SCSI bus
length, etc. But I'm not sure what is causing the problem. I do know
that everything works fine under Windows NT, with native support for
the 2842. ( although I'm not sure that this is a fair comparison )

Any advise, help, or suggestions would be appreciated.

Ron

--
Ron Lenk                                                     rlenk@xmission.com
"An easy way to make a small fortune is to start with a large one" -- G. Miller