Date:      Mon, 4 Jan 1999 09:13:40 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom Bartol <bartol@salk.edu>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New boot blocks for serial console ...

On Mon, 4 Jan 1999, Garrett Wollman wrote:

> <<On Mon, 4 Jan 1999 09:01:34 -0800 (PST), Tom Bartol <bartol@salk.edu> said:
>
> >> Not at all.   Ever heard of a padlock?
>
> > Well, then, there's your solution!
>
> No, because it still doesn't prevent someone from walking up to the
> machine and telling it to boot something it shouldn't.
>
> What we're trying to achieve is an environment where the worst thing
> someone could do is cause the machine to reboot.

Then what you need is an untouchable machine in the hardware AND software
sense.  Padlock the room where the machine sits, get a UPS with plenty
reserve power, and don't put it the machine on the net.  Probably not a
very useful machine when you're all done doing that :-)

Sorry, I'm just jerking you around here, you're original idea about have a
streamlined boot process is a good one, I'm just pointing out that this is
really just a deterrent, like all other security measures as there really
is no absolute solution to achieve absolute security.

Tom