Date:      Fri, 16 Mar 2001 11:38:00 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.org, Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
Subject:   Re: Proposal for the CPU interrupt API

On 16-Mar-01 Matt Dillon wrote:

>:Yep.  I think that on the Alpha the IPL may be shared among all CPU's or may
>:be
>:per-CPU but I'm not sure.  On the x86 it would only be for the local CPU, but
>:all that any calling code should depend on is that it disables interrupts for
>:the current CPU.
>
>     Well, if the IPL is shared amoung all CPU's then for disable_intr() or
>     work as advertised it would have to keep a reference count, since you
>     might have several cpu's disabling interrupts at the same time.  That
>     would imply that every call to disable_intr() or enable_intr() must be
>     matched by a call to restore_intr().

Umm, actually, on the alpha it can go both ways, and yes we _do_ match
intr_restore() with intr_disable() and intr_enable() (except right now some x86
MD code doesn't do this yet).  We actually added save_intr() and restore_intr()
for precisely this reason back in the first SMPng commit a few months ago.  You
did read the part of my post that included the API we currently use, right?

>     And as far as your inane comments go, Matt... if you stopped to actually
>     read my posting you might have understood my issue a little better.  I
>     don't know where you got your attitude problem or why you are being so
>     combative, and I'm not interested either.

And if you would actually read all of the post and keep up to date with the
code so that you weren't telling us to do what we are already doing it would be
more helpful, too.  Honestly, Matt, you're sort of reminding me of Terry here.
:)