Date:      Sat, 5 Mar 2016 10:45:05 +1030
From:      Shane Ambler <FreeBSD@ShaneWare.Biz>
To:        "Kevin P. Neal" <kpn@neutralgood.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Newer clang than comes with install?

On 05/03/2016 01:23, Kevin P. Neal wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 04, 2016 at 02:22:26PM +0000, Brooks Davis wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 03, 2016 at 08:45:05AM -0500, kpneal@pobox.com wrote:
>>> I notice on 10.2 we're using "FreeBSD clang version 3.4.1". But there are
>>> bugs in this version of clang that I'm having trouble with.
>>>
>>> Is compiling a newer (say, 3.7.1) version of clang to target FreeBSD
>>> supported? I have no desire to replace any of the libraries, just the
>>> compiler itself. Is that supposed to work _without_ going through the
>>> ports/pkgs system?
>>>
>>> IOW, can I just download from llvm.org the clang+llvm source, compile
>>> it on FreeBSD, and then use it safely?
>>
>> It should.  The ports don't include many patches.
>
> Yeah, I was just looking at the patches we do include. One of them it looks
> like causes some of the llvm.org-provided includes to not be installed.
>
> I'm not sure I can, well, not install them because I also need to use the
> same install to do cross compiles. A quick check shows that those includes
> are used when targetting cross and native.
>
> Am I correct about the include files? And, if so, are there plans to
> upstream patches so the llvm.org includes will work out of the box for
> FreeBSD-hosted-and-targetted compiles?

I am fairly sure the BSD developers share as much as they can upstream.

You may want to look at current, it now has clang 3.7 and it appears 3.8
is being tested.

https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=revision&revision=288943

https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/projects/clang380-import/

--
FreeBSD - the place to B...Software Developing

Shane Ambler